Getting the edge when you sell with home staging really does work. And in the USA, home staging will get you the edge in a buyer’s market, that’s for sure. It can really make a difference to your valuation and also the sales price you end up getting when you sell.
Selling your home is a big decision and not one to take lightly. A few of the items at the top of your list may be to:
- Find a successful agent from a reputable brand and
- Get a free property valuation.
That is a great place to start and we can help you, but…. First, you need to focus first and foremost on getting your home ready to sell. Get it ready even before you get a valuation done? You will not be sorry…
Get the edge when you sell with home staging
If home staging is a new concept to you, don’t worry, whether you have the spare cash to bring in a pro or not, we have no doubt that you could tackle a few of these little tips on your own. Remember you are staging your home to sell it so you can get the edge on the other properties in your area that are also on the market. Home staging has been known to help sellers sell fast and for the best price possible.
What is home staging?
Freshome wrote a really informative article about home staging and we have used experts that are relevant to folk that are planning to sell their home. Home staging according to Freshome is the process of preparing, packaging and presenting your home for sale, in a way so that it appeals to the widest possible audience and sells for the highest possible price. Home stagers will typically try and work mostly with what the homeowner already has in order to reduce the overall cost.
The process to home stage when you sell your home usually involves depersonalizing the space by clearing clutter; rearranging existing furniture to maximize space and light; cleaning the house top to bottom and inside and out; painting rooms in a neutral colour palette and replacing carpets or floors if necessary; making any necessary repairs and updates inside and outside the house; and lastly bringing in new furniture and accessories to dress the space to create a warm and welcoming environment. With home staging, you are trying to create an inviting home that the buyers will fall in love with. Staging is more about creating the “ahh this is nice, I could really live with this”.
Shopping can be such fun
So, if you are planning on going at this yourself, it is honestly not very hard, in fact, it could be mounds of fun. Think of spending a max R1,000 per room as an investment. And your investment that could be piles of fun could help you retain as much of your asking price as possible. If your home is looking a little dated this is the perfect excuse to go shopping. And, please consider this before you call in the cavalry to sell your home, which we can help you with…
Here you will find some tips that Freshome provided about the do’s and then the don’ts. It’s all common sense really and it can really make such a difference to the valuation and also the sales process when your property lists. You want your home to look better than anyone else’s in the area when it goes on sale.
It’s all about first impressions
- Make sure that potential buyers actually stop at your house and don’t just drive passed. Your curb or pavement appeal cannot be stressed enough.
- Clear all the entrances are cleared and ensure they look warm and welcoming.
- Ensure the pot plants at the front door look healthy and vibrant.
- Is the pathway leading up to your front door nicely defined?
- Is your house number clean and clearly visible?
Pay close attention to your kitchen
- This is where it really is ‘make or break’.
- A good remodel can cost anywhere between R80,000 and R300,000 depending on what you are after.
- A dated kitchen will definitely be negative in terms of your property valuation.
- A fresh coat of paint can do wonders and so could some new blinds and colourful tea towels.
- Pack away as much of the ‘stuff’ you have on your counters. Improve the illusion of space in your kitchen.
Neutralise your walls
- Change the bright gaudy colours that you like and choose more muted colours. This does not mean beige or white, just more muted colours.
- Introduce splashes of colour with rugs, table runners, fresh flowers and more.
Clean out your clutter and clean from top to bottom
- Clean up all the daily mess and the familiar junk that is lying about in plain sight. Remember clutter makes a room look smaller and could distract a buyer from seeing the potential in your home. So declutter. Yes, declutter is a word and quite a popular word too.
- Your story and personal effects are yours to keep. Pack away as much of the personal stuff you have lying about, like photo frames, excess books, and clothes, etc.
- Once you have decluttered, clean like your life depended on it.
Maximize the space in every room
- Remove carpets that you don’t need. Often this makes a room appear smaller.
- Remove furniture you don’t need and make each room appear bigger.
- If you have very bulky furniture that you are not using, consider storage because a room could feel a little cramped with the big furniture in it.
- Remember if you take some of your personal family pictures down, this also creates an illusion of space and you don’t want buyers distracted with your personal story.
- Try moving furniture around in the rooms and remove unnecessary and unused furniture to create the illusion of space.
- We also cover some of the worst mistakes people make when they tackle home staging by themselves. It’s not hard and perhaps it more about understanding some of the concepts clearly.
Don’t over neutralise when you home stage
- We are not suggesting beige, white or bland. Consider lighter, more muted tones.
- Add splashes of vibrant colour selectively in each of your rooms. Use smaller accessories like throw, rugs, towels, flowers, and artwork because you need to show off the personality of your home.
Poor or shoddy workmanship stands out
- If you are not good at DIY, don’t go there. A potential buyer is not emotionally invested and will spot poor workmanship from a mile away. No matter how good your intentions make sure the work you have done on your property is done to a high standard.
- Remember buyers are buying a dream and you don’t want your buyer doubting any work you have undertaken on your property.
Don’t go overboard with over staging
- Bring a few new things into your home.
- You want to show just enough of the personality of your home. Stripping a home completely can do a great deal of harm as well. You have to find the balance and avoid your property looking positively vacant.
- Stay away from hordes of vases on a shelf. Pack them away or better still pack them into boxes ahead of your move.
- Remember you are looking for the “ahh factor” from your buyers.
Polish up on your organisation skills
- Get stuck into your drawers and the cupboards that your buyers will If your cupboards are overloaded, try and deal with it before you get buyers through your home.
- Buyers are looking for space and they will open your cupboards and drawers.
- Make sure your cupboards are neat and tidy and remember it is about impressions. So set the right tone for your potential buyers. Finally, the last thing you want is for buyers to think you don’t have enough cupboard space.
EA Connections can help you team up to win with some of the best estate agents in your area. We work with well-recognized brands and we know all the business owners personally. And, we know the work ethic and we trust them. For that reason, we are able to help you connect to the best agents in your area and within minutes. That’s right, agents call you!
How can we help you if you are selling your home?
All you need to do is click here and leave your details online. We will call you to confirm your details within minutes. Remember we know the agencies and the agents in JHB and we know who to recommend to ensure your success which is selling your home fast and for the best price. We’ll get the right brand and the most prominent estate agent in your area to call you before the day is done to arrange your first meeting. Also, connecting with prominent estate agents is free and there is absolutely no obligation that comes with their call or their free valuation that they will give you. In addition, we hope to hear from you soon if you are selling your home. Finally, our aim is to help you sell fast and for the best price possible. So, to get the edge in a buyer’s market, then get the edge when you sell with home staging. Need to request a property valuation, click here. Or, submit your details online and we will get a top agent to call you to get started with the sale of your property.
- Call us on (083) 550-1220 if you have any questions at all and need more assistance.
- Need a free property valuation, click here, leave your details and we will call you right back.
- Need EA Connections to refer you to the top agent in your area? Click here and leave your details – we will call you right back.